2014-2015 Academic Calendar Survey
Allen ISD would like your input on the 2014-2015 Academic Calendar. The calendar committee met recently and recommends the attached calendar for consideration.
1. State law requires that districts may not begin instruction for students before the fourth Monday in August.
2. The semester ends before winter break for the following reasons:
· Many students take dual credit courses, giving them both high school and college credit.
These courses must coincide with the college semester.
· Many students graduate in December.· Previous surveys indicate that families prefer to finish the semester in December so that the
break is free from the stress of pending assignments.
3. Thanksgiving and Winter breaks:· Thanksgiving Break in Allen ISD has traditionally been one week and Winter break has traditionally
been two weeks. This has been overwhelmingly popular on previous calendar surveys.
4. Spring Break the week of March 9-13, 2015 will coincide with surrounding school districts and Collin College.
5. Collaborative planning days in October, January & February are scheduled on federal holidays to help alleviate child care concerns for parents.
6. A June school end date accommodates the mandatory start date in August, longer holidays and the required number of instructional days.
Please click on the proposed calendar to view details. Thank you for your valuable input!
After reviewing the calendar choose Agree or Disagree and provide comments.