Born April 23, 1886, Flossie Floyd Green grew up west of Allen on a farm that her family settled just after the Civil War. One of nine children, Flossie attended a one room school house located close to the current intersection of State Highway 121 and Custer Road. She attended college at what is now known as Mary Hardin Baylor in Belton, Texas.
Social life revolved around the church and the story is told that the only time the Floyd family missed church was when the water was too high to get the buggy across Rowlett Creek. Recreation included an occasional race with neighborhood children on the horses that were used for farming...without the knowledge of parents, of course.
Flossie married the neighbor boy, John Green, who was born in the farmhouse that once stood on the current Green Elementary site. The depression offered great obstacles to Flossie, who was widowed in 1932. In spite of the hardships, she managed to provide the money for a college education for her two sons. They went on to attain a high degree of success in the corporate worlds of Texaco and the Dr. Pepper Company.
Along with her lifelong friend, Lucy Rasor and others, she raised the money to rebuild the Rowlett Baptist Church which is the oldest recorded church in Collin County.
Flossie loved children and taught all she came in contact with the value of an education. She set an example of high moral standards, strong faith and a fierce determination. More than once prior to her death in 1976, she stated that she would like to see a school built on one of her farms. Flossie Floyd Green Elementary which opened its doors on August 5th, 1995, was the fulfillment of Mrs. Green's dream. Her descendants, Georgie and John Green, donated the land and had the school named after her as a memorial. She would be pleased.