The Flipped Classroom
Posted by Steve Payne at 2/23/2012
The Flipped Classroom is NOT:
· A synonym for online videos. When most people hear about the flipped class all they think about are the videos. It is the the interaction and the meaningful learning activities that occur during the face-to-face time that is most important.
· About replacing teachers with videos.
· An online course.
· Students working without structure.
· Students spending the entire class staring at a computer screen.
· Students working in isolation.
· A means to INCREASE interaction and personalized contact time between students and teachers.
· An environment where students take responsibility for their own learning.
· A classroom where the teacher is not the "sage on the stage", but the "guide on the side".
· A blending of direct instruction with constructivist learning.
· A classroom where students who are absent due to illness or extra-curricular activities such as athletics or field-trips, don't get left behind.
· A class where content is permanently archived for review or remediation.
· A class where all students are engaged in their learning.
· A place where all students can get a personalized education.
Please share your thoughts about the blog topic by clicking on