Welcome to AHS Biology!
Biology, AP Biology
Phone Number: 972-236-0600, Ext. 6208
On-Level Biology Students:
I am excited for a new school year and to have you in our Biology program. I have a few tips for success in Biology that I want to share right away.
1) Be Present: Not just in attendance, but when in the class.
- Be engaged.
- Be a participant.
- Be interested and curious.
2) Practice Integrity: Do your work, prepare for class, and complete your assignments with MAXIMUM EFFORT. No one controls your success more than yourself.
- Make responsible choices.
- Relish successes.
- Learn from failures.
- Accept consequences.
All students enrolled in Biology will use Canvas to access course materials. To log in to Canvas, follow this link: canvas.allenisd.org*
* Be sure to use Google Chrome as your browser when using Canvas as you will get optimal function of the Canvas in that browser. Certain features of Canvas may be unavailable if you use other browsers.
Students: Supplies you need to have for the first week of class include the following:
1) A dedicated notebook or binder for Biology. We will use this notebook/bonder every single day--they will serve as the place you take notes, complete some classwork, and collect lab data. You will need this for class as soon as possible, since we will start doing things in our notebooks the first week of class.
2) Blue or black ink pens: any written work must be completed in blue or black ink only
3) Pencils (number 2 pencils, please)
Supplies you need to have for the first week of class include the following:
- 2 quad-ruled composition books to be used as an interactive notebook. These notebooks are graph paper composition notebooks. These can be purchased at Staples, Target or Wal-Mart. If you cannot find the quad ruled notebooks, regular composition notebooks will work as well. I just want you to have what you need for class as soon as possible since we will start doing things in our notebooks the first week of class.
- You will need these by no later than the SECOND DAY of class. We will use these notebooks every single day--they will serve as the place you take notes, complete bellwork and collect lab data. You will be required to have your notebook already set up when you attend class on the first day. To understand how to set up your notebook, view this video found here: https://youtu.be/H-2148m_l_0
DO NOT PURCHASE THE PERFORATED TYPE NOTEBOOK! It will fall apart. Additionally, do NOT use a spiral notebook!
- This will serve as your interactive learning log to be brought to class each day. We will use it every class period, and you will organize your coursework in this notebook. Additionally, this notebook will serve as your review guide for either the AP exam at the end of the course. DO NOT USE SPIRAL NOTEBOOKS! They will fall apart and this will increase the likelihood that you will lose the contents of your notebook.
- Pens in the following colors:
- Blue or black ink: any written work must be completed in blue or black ink only.
- Choose three of the following: Red, green, purple, pink, aqua, orange (these will be for color-coding work in class)
- Highlighters of any color
- Pencils (number 2 pencils. Mechanical pencils are okay!)
- Please also bring at least one of the following to support classroom lab activities:
- 1 box of Kleenex and 1 roll of paper towels
- A box of nitrile gloves (non-latex only, like these), size Medium OR Large
- A container of Clorox wipes