IB English III- Guided Choice Reading Assignment
You will be required to choose one piece of literature from the following list. You must form reading groups, in your class, of at least three students reading the same novel. You need to be prepared for group discussions in class.
A Passage to India/E.M. Forster
All the King’s Men/ Robert Penn Warren
As I Lay Dying/ William Faulkner
Catcher in the Rye/J.D. Salinger
East of Eden/John Steinbeck
The Poisonwood Bible/ Barbara Kingsolver
In Cold Blood/Truman Capote
One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest/Ken Kesey
One Hundred Years of Solitude/Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Slaughterhouse- Five/Kurt Vonnegut
Sophie’s Choice/ William Styron
The Awakening/Kate Chopin
The Bluest Eye/ Toni Morrison
The Devil in the White City/Eric Larson
The Great Gatsby/F. Scott Fitzgerald
The House of the Spirits/Isabel Allende
The Invisible Man/Ralph Ellison
The Sun Also Rises/Ernest Hemingway
Wuthering Heights/Emily Bronte
Reading Journal Requirement for Guided Choice Reading:
The following five activities are mandatory:
1. Title page with author information, a brief summary of the novel, and list of awards and recognitions that both the author and the book have received.
2. Character list.
3. Annotated first passage of the novel (approximately 50-60 lines).
4. Précis (based upon a literary criticism of the book or author).
5. Pastiche (in the style of your author) of 500 words or more.
Then, you will choose five more activities from the following list:
3. Annotate a key passage
4. Illustrate a scene
5. Develop a comic strip of a section
6. Time line
7. Music CD for a scene or character
8. Museum Box
9. Voki that presents information
11. Letters between characters
12. Diary entries
13. A new/alternate conclusion
14. Monologue from a character
15. Develop a children’s fable or “pop-up” book based on the plot.