NJHS Membership Responsibilities
1. Regular attendance at meetings and the induction ceremony is required.
2. General meetings will be held once every nine weeks.
3. In accordance with the By-Laws, failure to attend meetings without prior approval from the advisor(s) may result in probation or impending dismissal from the chapter. In particular, when a member incurs his/her first unexcused absence from a chapter meeting, he/she will be placed on probation. If there is a second offense, it will result in grounds for dismissal from NJHS.
Scholarship and Character
1. Members must maintain a cumulative GPA of 94% in all classes.
2. Members may not have any individual class grade below an 80%.
3. The Faculty Council has determined that only ONE period of probation will be permitted for academic improvement during a student’s membership in the chapter of NJHS. When a member’s GPA falls below the required 94% they will be placed on probation. If there is a second offense, it will result in grounds for dismissal form NJHS.
4. ISS, Saturday School, OSS, and AEP assignments related/but not limited to behavior infractions are grounds for dismissal from NJHS.
1. Under the NJHS guidelines, each chapter must do service projects in which each member must be actively involved. In addition, each student shall have the responsibility of choosing and participating in individual service projects which reflect his/her own particular talents and interests. Services rendered for which students do not receive a grade or money as payment qualify for community service hours.
2. During each nine weeks general meeting, all members are required to submit at least 12 hours of community service (6 hours during the 4th nine-weeks), recorded in their service portfolio.
3. Students may accumulate more service hours each nine weeks than required, but service hours can not carry over to the following nine weeks.
4. Up to six hours acquired during the summer may be applied towards the 1st nine weeks requirement.
5. If the member does not complete the required service hours for a nine week period, he/she will be placed on probation for the next nine weeks. If there is a second offense, it will result in grounds for dismissal from NJHS.
A MEMBER WHO RESIGNS OR IS DISMISSED FROM NJHS WILL NO LONGER BE ELIGIBLE FOR MEMBERSHIP IN NJHS. TERMINATION OF NATIONAL JUNIOR HONOR SOCIETY MEMBERSHIP DOES NOT AFFECT ELIGIBILITY IN THE NATIONAL HONOR SOCIETY.