Please note that any correction/change to a pick up or drop off address will result in a three to five day waiting period from the time transportation receives the paperwork before the change can be made.
It is the policy of the Allen ISD Transportation Department to provide bus transportation for all eligible students who attend their neighborhood school. To be eligible, students must reside two (2) or more miles from the assigned school (students less than 2 miles are ineligible.). Secondary school students may be expected to travel up to one half (0.5) mile (approximately 4 blocks) from their homes or service address to the designated bus stop. Elementary students (including kindergartners) may be expected to travel up to three-tenths (0.3) of a mile (approximately 3 blocks) to the bus stop. Parents/guardians are responsible for instructing their children about directions from their homes or service address to the bus stop. All distance measurements should be made in a reasonable, accurate and consistent manner using the shortest route that may be traveled on public (not private) roads between the students home (sidewalk curb in front of students front door) or bus stop and end at the beginning of school property or bus stop.
AHS/Lowery Students, in order to continue to provide the utmost safety and security, Transportation will be asking students who use AISD bus services to have their student ID visible at all times.
I. PRIOR TO LOADING
(on the road and at school)
1. Students should be at the bus stop five (5) minutes before the scheduled pick-up time.
2. Students are to wait for the bus at the assigned stop in an orderly manner until the bus comes to a complete stop.
3. Students should wait for the bus in a single line, 10 feet back from the roadway. DO NOT PUSH.
4. Students are to refrain from any harassment of the public or damage to public or private property at the designated stop.
5. Students should use handrails to help board the bus safely.
6. For safety reasons, students should not wear clothing with drawstrings dangling from any part of their clothing.
7. If a student misses the bus, he/she should go home immediately. It will be the parent's responsibility to take the child to school.
II. RIDING ON THE BUS
1. Students must go to a seat and be seated immediately upon boarding.
2. The bus will not move until all students are seated.
3. The driver may assign seats.
4. Students must remain seated while the bus is moving.
5. Students may not change seats after boarding without driver's approval.
6. Students should not have any part of their body out of the window. They should keep arms, hands, legs and head inside the bus at all times.
7. Students shall not eat, or litter on the school bus. No food or drinks (cups, cans or bottles) will be permitted on the bus without the driver's permission.
8. Students will assist in keeping bus safe, clean and sanitary.
9. Scuffling, fighting and the use of obscene, vulgar or profane language and gestures are not allowed.
10. Students will not mark, cut, or scratch any part of the bus. Vandalism costs will be charged to the person responsible for damages.
11. Do not throw objects inside or out of the bus.
12. The use of any type of tobacco, alcohol or drug products on the bus is forbidden by State Law.
13. Students will keep books, packages, backpacks, coats and legs out of the aisle.
14. The emergency doors and exit window controls should be used only during drills or actual emergencies.
III. UNLOADING FROM THE BUS
1. All students will remain seated until the bus comes to a complete stop. DO NOT PUSH.
2. All students will move away from the bus immediately upon leaving the bus.
3. If you must cross the street or road after getting off the bus, he/she should walk to the front of the crossing arm, then stop and look to the driver for a signal to cross in front of the bus.4. Should a student drop an article near or under the bus, they must not try to retrieve it. The student should go to the door of the bus and ask the driver for help.5. The safety of our students will always be first. To protect our students the transportation policy for 2nd graders and below is as follows. It is the parent’s responsibility to make sure the students get to and from the students designated bus stop. Drivers will hold these students on the bus until an authorized adult is present to prevent them from getting lost on the way home. If a parent wishes their student to get off the bus without an adult present, they should have a permission note registered at the transportation department or if an authorized adult is not at the bus stop, the student will be returned to school and the parents will have to pick them up. You may also have an older sibling walk home with the student.6. Students must be eligible bus riders in order to ride the bus; they must also ride the bus they are assigned. In the event of an emergency parents are required to send a signed note for the Principal's approval, giving permission for their child to ride a bus other than their own or to get off at a bus stop other than their own. The note must be given to the driver when boarding the bus.7. Students should never cross the road behind the bus.
IV. EXTRACURRICULAR TRIPS
1. Bus rider rules apply to all school sponsored trips.
2. All bus riders shall respect the wishes of a competent Chaperone appointed by the school. At least one Chaperone will be on each bus.
3. A trip report will be prepared by each driver and submitted to the Transportation Director.
4. The bus must be returned clean and in good condition after each trip.
V. PROHIBITED ITEMS ON THE BUS
1. Live animals.
2. Any type of weapons or look like weapons.
3. Glass containers.
4. Any object (musical instrument, class project, etc.) too large to be carried by the student. All other items must be kept on the student's lap at all times.
VI. EMERGENCY EVACUATIONS
1. Please follow the procedures listed below:
a) Leave the bus in a single file as quickly and quietly as possible.
b) Evacuation will start with the seat closest to the door or exit.
c) Once outside the bus, stand as a group and follow the driver's instructions.