An Elementary School Counselor provides:
-School Guidance Curriculum
-A comprehensive program that promotes knowledge and skills in three content areas: academic achievement, career development and personal/social growth
-Individual and Small Group Student Planning
-Ongoing activities designed to help individual and small groups of students to establish personal goals and develop future plans
-Includes: consultation, individual/small-group counseling, crisis response, referrals, peer mediation
-Professional development, collaboration, program management and operation
Elementary School Counselors help students:
-achieve academic goals.
-develop a better understanding and acceptance of themselves.
-cope with life changes.
-develop problem solving and decision making skills.
-develop emotionally and socially.
-begin to develop career goals.
Elementary School Counselors help school staff:
-understand and meet students' personal, social, emotional, academic, and
Elementary School Counselors help parents:
-understand their child's emotions and behaviors.
-access community resources when needed.
-with strategies to use at home with problem behaviors.
-interpret standardized test scores.
What are some specific things Mrs. Oliver does?
- Classroom Guidance for all grade levels, following are the topics covered:
- Goal-setting/Problem solving/conflict resolution
- Healthy relationships/friendship
- College and career readiness
- Digital citizenship/cyberbullying
- Character education
- Any other topics covered based on student and campus needs
- Work with small groups and individual students for a variety of reasons
-family/life changes and crises
- Facilitates/Assists with the following programs:
-Be the One
-S.P.A.R.K.S. - Student Council
-Red Ribbon Week
-College & Carreer Week
-6th grade registration