• Free & Reduced Meal Application Frequently Asked Questions

    1. Who Qualifies for Free Meal Status?
      • Income—Children can get free or reduced-price meals if a household’s gross income is within the limits described in the Federal Income Eligibility Guidelines.
      • Special Assistance Program Participants—Children in households receiving benefits from the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), Food Distribution Program for Households on Indian Reservations (FDPIR), or Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), are eligible for free meals.
      • Foster—Foster children who are under the legal responsibility of a foster care agency or court are eligible for free meals.
      • Head Start or Early Head Start—Children participating in these programs are eligible for free meals.
      • Homeless, Runaway, and Migrant—Children who meet the definition of homeless, runaway, or migrant qualify for free meals. If you haven’t been told about a child’s status as homeless, runaway, or migrant or you feel a child may qualify for one of these programs, please call or email Becky Wiginton at 972-908-8956 or rebecca.wiginton@allenisd.org
      • WIC Recipient—Children in households participating in WIC may be eligible for free or reduced-price meals.
    2. What If I Disagree with the School’s Decision About My Application?
      • Talk to school officials. You also may ask for a hearing by calling or writing, Daniel Pitcock, Deputy Superintendent, Operations, Hearing Official, 612 E. Bethany, Allen, TX 75002 or call 972-727-0511.
    3. What If My Income Is Not Always the Same?
      • List the amount normally received. If a household member lost a job or had hours/wages reduced, use current income.
    4. If I Don’t Qualify Now, May I Apply Later?
      • Yes. Apply at any time during the school year. A child with a parent or guardian who becomes unemployed may become eligible for free and reduced-price meals if the household income drops below the income limit.
    5. We Are in The Military. Do We Report Our Income Differently?
      • Basic pay and cash bonuses must be reported as income. Any cash value allowances for off-base housing, food, or clothing, or Family Subsistence Supplemental Allowance payments count as income. If housing is part of the Military Housing Privatization Initiative, do not include the housing allowance as income. Any additional combat pay resulting from deployment is excluded from income.
    6. May I Apply If Someone in My Household Is Not a U.S. Citizen?
      • Yes. You, your children, or other household members do not have to be U.S. citizens to apply for free or reduced-price meals.
    7. Will Application Information Be Checked?
      • Yes. We may also ask you to send written proof of the reported household income.
    8. My Family Needs More Help. Are There Other Programs We Might Apply For?
      • To find out how to apply for other assistance benefits, contact your local assistance office or 2-1-1.
    9. Can I Apply Online? Y
      • Yes! The online application has the same requirements and will ask you for the same information as the paper application. Visit https://www.allenisd.org/Domain/37 to begin or to learn more about the online application process. Contact Lynn Dennis at 972-908-8975 or lynn.dennis@allenisd.org


    If you have other questions or need help, call Lynn Dennis at 972-908-8975