What does a school counselor do?
What Does the School Counselor Do?
An Elementary School Counselor provides:
- School Guidance Curriculum
- A comprehensive program that promotes knowledge and skills in three content areas: academic achievement, career development and personal/social growth
- Individual and Small Group Student Planning
- Ongoing activities designed to help individual and small groups of students to establish personal goals and develop future plans
- Responsive Services
- Includes: consultation, individual/small-group counseling, crisis response, referrals, peer mediation
- System Support
- Professional development, collaboration, program management and operation
Elementary School Counselors help students:
- achieve academic goals.
- develop a better understanding and acceptance of themselves.
- cope with life changes.
- develop problem solving and decision making skills.
- develop emotionally and socially.
- begin to develop career goals.
Elementary School Counselors help school staff:
- understand and meet students' personal, social, emotional, academic, and
Elementary School Counselors help parents:
- understand their child's emotions and behaviors.
- access community resources when needed.
- with strategies to use at home with problem behaviors.
- interpret standardized test scores.
What are some specific things Ms. Bower does?
- Classroom Guidance for all grade levels
- Work with small groups and individual students for a variety of reasons such as:
- behavioral concerns
- attendance concerns
- academic concerns
- family/life changes and crises
- friendship issues
- Facilitates/Assists with the following programs:
- Peer Mediation Team
- Watch D.O.G.S.
- Red Ribbon Week
- 6th to 7th grade registration
- Fire Safety Week