Qualifying Life Event

  • You’re able to change your election each year during your annual benefits open enrollment. The only time the Internal Revenue Code regulations allow you to make a change mid-plan year is if you experience a qualifying event. Some examples include:

    • Change in legal marriage status
    • Change in number of tax dependents
    • Termination or commencement of employment and/or employer sponsored coverage
    • Dependent satisfies or ceases to satisfy dependent eligibility requirements
    • Entitlement to Medicare, Medicaid or other government sponsored health coverage

    You may modify your election for the remainder of the plan year if the change in status affects the eligibility for coverage under the plan for you, your spouse and/or dependents and as long as your change is consistent with the qualified event.


    What are the requirements for a mid-year change?

    1. You have 30 days from the date of the event to notify the AISD Benefits Dept. to request for a mid-year change.
    2. You are required to complete and turn in a Benefits Change Form within 30 days of the event.
    3. You are required to provide supporting documentation within 30 days of the event:
    • Marriage — Marriage License or Certificate
    • Divorce — Certified copy of divorce decree
    • Birth — Verification of Birth Facts issued by hospital or Birth Certificate
    • Adoption — Placement for adoption paperwork or Legal documentation of the adoption
    • Involuntary loss or gain of coverage — Proof of enrollment or termination of benefit coverage. Proof must contain effective or termination dates of coverage, type of coverage (medical, dental, vision) and the names of the dependents affected.