Arrival and Dismissal Procedures
Student safety is one of our primary concerns. In order to provide the safest environment for our children, Story has an organized drop-off and pick-up plan that we would like for every parent, guardian, carpool driver and daycare to follow. If an adjustment is made throughout the school year, a notice will be sent home in your child’s Thursday folder and/or via email. Thank you in advance for helping us keep our children safe!
- Students should keep the door of the vehicle closed until it comes to a complete stop next to the curb and then exit and enter the car from the curbside only.
- Vehicles are not allowed to stop for student drop-off or pick-up in the outside lane of traffic or in the parking lot. Students should only exit and enter the vehicle next to the curb.
- Students should not walk across the parking lot unattended. If a parent parks in the lot, he/she must walk the children across at the crosswalk.
- Please use designated parking spaces. This will prevent lack of visibility when driving around a car that is blocking the flow of traffic.
- Please avoid texting or cell phone use while driving through the parking lot or in the school zone.
- Don’t forget to always be patient with our staff and each other.
- All Students must be dropped off on the side of the building.
- When entering the parking lot, form a single file line along the curb.
- Please have your child(ren) ready to go.
- Please remain in your car. The driveways are for loading and unloading only. If you want to stop, please pull into a parking space in front of the building.
- Please do not drop off children in the parking lot. Students should never be unescorted in the parking lot.
- Never block the intersections of Malone/Edelweiss and Azalea/Edelweiss. The City of Allen parking code states that cars should not park closer than 30 feet from a crosswalk or stop sign.
- Please avoid parking on the street in front of the school. This will help with traffic flow.
- Please do not double park or block another car in the parking lot. Only park in designated spaces.
- Students in grades K-2 will enter through the side doors by the office and they will wait in the cafeteria each morning where they will be monitored by staff.
- Students in grades 3-6 will enter through the gym doors and wait in the gym each morning where they will be monitored by staff.
- Students of any grade who are eating breakfast at school may be dropped off on the side of the building and enter with K-2 kids to report to the cafeteria.
- On days with inclement weather, all students may enter at either door to get them out of the weather quickly.
- Student arrival time is 7:30 a.m. – 7:45 a.m. The school opens at 7:30 a.m. and supervision begins at that time. For safety reasons, please do not drop off students before 7:30 a.m.
- The tardy bell rings at 7:45 a.m. Students should be in their classrooms at that time. Students who are tardy will need to go to the office to receive a tardy slip.
- AISD buses and daycare buses/vehicles will drop off on the south side of the building.
Please Review the Dismissal Procedures Information. Thank you!
- There are 5 choices for how your child is dismissed at the end of the day. It will be important to choose one and be consistent each day or each week. It can be confusing for both your child and the teacher if there are regular changes. We know that there might be times that a change is necessary. Therefore, in the event of an emergency or an unexpected change to your child’s afternoon pick-up, please send a note to the teacher with your child or contact the office no later than 2:30 p.m. This will allow school personnel adequate time to get information relayed to classroom teachers and students.
- Please help us to eliminate any confusion that occurs while staff is trying to locate your child who may be waiting at a different pick-up area. We want to ensure that pick-up time is safe and orderly, and communicating changes will ensure that the staff is focused on the students they are monitoring and on traffic. Please complete the attached “Student Dismissal Information” form. Thank you!
- In the event of severe weather, an ‘inclement weather’ dismissal will be followed. This allows students to exit the building/covered porch only when the vehicle is ready to load.
- Students in grades 1-6 who are picked up in the car-line will be waiting with their teachers in the front of the school. Kinder students will be waiting in the cafeteria.
- Staff members will call out names via walkie talkie, and teachers will assist students in locating and boarding their vehicles. Please help us to expedite this process by having the “pick-up” tag with your child’s name and grade level hanging from your rearview mirror. If your sign is lost, please ask your child’s teacher for a replacement or you may create your own replacement.
- To avoid congestion in the parking lot and the car-line, parents are encouraged to stay in their vehicles, travel through the pick-up line, and pull forward as space allows.
Parents Walk-up to Building
- Parents may park their vehicles if they prefer, wait in the designated parent waiting area next to the gym, and walk their children across the parking lot. Students whose parents chose this method of pick-up will exit via the gym door next to the bike rack. Staff members will be monitoring the students waiting for “parent walk-up” pick up.
- We ask that if you are planning to walk-up to the building, that you would inform the teacher prior to doing so. This will ensure that your child is waiting for you there.
- Students who will be staying in afterschool daycare at Story (Kids Club) will go to the cafeteria
AISD Bus or Daycare Buses/vehicles
- AISD and daycare buses/vehicles will pick up students on the east side of the building.
Bike Riders, Walkers, Scooters, Etc.
- Students riding bikes will exit out the gym door next to the bike racks.
- Students walking or riding scooters will exit out the gym door.
- If you ask your child to meet you somewhere off campus, your child is also considered a walker.
- Students must walk bikes, scooters, and skateboards while on school grounds.
- Bikes must be locked on the bike rack next to the gym during the school day.
- Walkers must cross the street and parking lot areas at designated crosswalks only.
If there are any changes to your pick-up arrangements please call the office no later than 2:35 p.m. This will allow school personnel adequate time to get information relayed to classroom teachers and students.
Inclement Weather Dismissal Procedures
In the event of inclement weather (heavy rain, storm, ice, snow…), the decision will be made by 2:45 p.m. to determine if the school will follow regular dismissal or inclement weather dismissal procedures. Please ensure that your child knows how they will get home on inclement weather days. If students do not know the arrangements and teachers have not been provided with the information, it creates confusion and slows down dismissal.
For inclement weather, we will follow these procedures:
- Bus riders, daycare, and Kids Club will use the regular dismissal procedures.
- Car riders will wait in the cafeteria (K-2) or front porch (3-6) for their name to be called. They will exit from the cafeteria door and load cars in the front of the building. Older siblings will be with younger siblings. The process will run smoother if all cars have their “pick-up” sign with youngest child’s name and grade level hanging from rearview mirrors. We ask that you would please stay in your cars. It is very difficult for students to exit out the cafeteria doors and get to their cars when parents are standing in-front of the door asking for their student. If you plan to park and exit your car, please use the Parent Walk-Up Procedure for pick-up during inclement weather.
- Parent Walk-up will pick-up students in the gym via the door next to the bike racks. At 2:50, we will open the door for parents to wait inside the gym. Please stand by the wall closest to the door. Students will enter gym, sit in the bleacher area, identify their parents across the room, and be released by staff that is monitoring.
- Only students who have permission from parents to walk, ride bikes, or ride scooters will be able to do so on inclement weather days. In the event that doing so would be dangerous to the students (examples: thunderstorm, lightning, hail, severe wind…), the administration will make the decision not to release students who walk or ride bikes home. These students will be required to call parents to make other arrangements.
Please know that inclement weather dismissal will move slowly due to the number of vehicles entering and exiting the parking lot. We will try our best to follow the information that you have provided on the dismissal information form. Your patience and support in following the procedures will be greatly appreciated.