A.I.M. (Activating Inquisitive Minds)
Welcome to the 2019-20 school year. My name is Terry Rains, my husband Scott and I live in Allen and have two daughters, Abigail and Maggie. I have been teaching since 1993. I earned a bachelor's degree in Elementary Education with a certification in Gifted and Talented Education.Contact information:Monday - Bolin ElementaryTuesday - Bolin ElementaryWednesday - Anderson Elementary 1st, 2nd, 3rd AIMThursday - Anderson Elementary 4th grade AIMFriday - Anderson Elementary 5th & 6th grade AIMSTEAM Guidelines
- Students gain new skills and a deeper knowledge of integrated science, math and art collectively applied to a real problem
- The engineering design process is the driver for finding solutions in the identified problem
- Engaging, inquiry-based instructional approaches are used and research is incorporated
- Students work in teams to find solutions, and multiple solutions are possible
- Technology is used or created
- Grades 1 and 2: Ancient China
- Grade 3: TPSP (Texas Performance Standards Project)
- Grade 4: TPSP (Texas Performance Standards Project)
- Grade 5/6: 1920s
Gifted and Talented Focus:
Critical Thinking Skills, Analytical Reasoning, Productive and Creative Reasoning, and Problem Solving
Our thinking processes will include critical thinking, creative thinking, inductive/deductive reasoning, social skills, spatial relationships, research, and communication skills.
We will be “Activating Inquisitive Minds” during the school year by engaging our students with curriculum opportunities designed to maximize their growth and potential for life-long successes as a gifted learner.The AIM program provides a homogeneous grouping of identified elementary (K-6) gifted and talented students that is designed to maximize their potential through in-depth and complex exploration of interdisciplinary studies that both extend and enrich the regular classroom. AIM is a pull-out program where students are clustered in a classroom with a gifted and talented specialist teacher. Our AIM curriculum serves to integrate Language Arts/ Social Studies and Science/ Math through a rigorous, relevant, and enriched extension of the regular classroom.
The Allen ISD Gifted and Talented program is designed to be an enriched academic extension of the classroom where gifted students are provided with exciting opportunities to learn, discover, and make real world connections with other gifted and talented students.
Allen ISD Gifted and Talented website link: https://www.allenisd.org/site/Default.aspx?PageID=291Allen ISD Gifted and Talented email: Gifted@AllenISD.orgAllen ISD Gifted and Talented office fax: 972-727-0434