Welcome to Coach Hill's classroom website.Name: Jennifer L HillGrade/Subject: Girls Athletic Coordinator/Athletics/8th Grade English
Contact Number: 972-474-3308,Email: JenniferL.Hill@allenisd.orgEnglish 8 / English 8 Pre-AP emphasizes the development of advanced composition skills. The course is designed to enable students to develop higher critical thinking skills as preparation for the Advanced Placement or International Baccalaureate English courses at the 11th and 12th grade levels.
All students have a required summer reading assignment each year. Please see www.allenisd.org/erecksonms website for summer reading requirements and accompanying assignments.
The goals of the English/Language Arts courses are for students to:
• read and understand a wide variety of literary and informational texts;
• compose a variety of written texts with a clear controlling idea, coherent organization, and sufficient detail;
• research to locate a range of relevant sources and evaluate, synthesize, and present ideas and information;
• listen and respond to the ideas of others while contributing their own ideas in conversations and in groups; and
• learn how to use the oral and written conventions of the English language in speaking and writing.
I expect you to come to class on time, ready to learn and prepared to give the work at hand your best effort, including your full participation and attention. I expect you to uphold the EMS Academic Honor Code. In addition, I expect you to be courteous, kind, and considerate, and to take responsibility for your actions.
The following qualities contribute to academic and personal success:
- consistent attendance and punctuality
- persistence in the face of adversity
- willingness to benefit from correction
- task orientation and a sense of urgency
- a sense of personal responsibility
- flexibility of mind and attitude
- openness to new ideas
- intellectual humility
The following are standards for behavior that will ensure an optimum learning environment for everyone:
o Be on time: Be seated with all necessary supplies, and read over the day’s agenda.
o Be prepared: Bring required materials and assignments to class.
o Be respectful: Show respect for everyone and everything.
o Be mindful of all school rules. Obey the dress code.
o NO FOOD, DRINKS, OR CANDY IN THE CLASSROOM. WATER ONLY.