Allen STEAM Ambassadors
Student Leadership Program
What are STEAM Ambassadors?
STEAM Ambassadors are representatives of the STEAM Student Leadership Program. STEAM Ambassadors are 10th-12th grade students who develop leadership and professional skills, engage with members of the community, and drive the continued development of programs offered at or through the STEAM Center. The Ambassadors communicate and collaborate with companies, represent the STEAM student body to governmental and business visitors as tour guides and activity facilitators, plan and manage campus events, volunteer at STEAM events throughout the community, and mentor younger students as they participate in field experiences throughout the year. They will also act as resident experts in the maker spaces at both Allen High School and on the STEAM campus. Students in the STEAM Student Leadership Program will develop a positive awareness of the needs of their community, particularly within the context of STEAM learning, and will be part of the force addressing such needs. Furthermore, students will develop and exercise leadership, professional communication skills, creativity, initiative, self-motivation, problem-solving, and critical thinking. Explore several aspects of Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math while developing skills crucial to success in the post-secondary and professional environments.
How do STEAM Ambassadors develop the attributes mentioned above?
- Attend invitation-only question & Answer sessions with experts from a variety of STEM/STEAM fields either on campus or in the field.
- Plan events on campus and throughout Allen.
- Lead specialized small group tours of the STEAM campus with businesses, academic institutions, and professional organizations.
- Facilitate Kindergarten through 8th-grade activities during the school day as Allen elementary and middle schools visit the STEAM campus for field experiences throughout the year.
- Shadow an expert or secure an internship through connections made as a STEAM Ambassador.
- VIP tours of museums and STEAM-related businesses.
- Web design, videography, and development of other STEAM educational/promotional materials.
How do I apply?
Please complete the application for the STEAM Student Leadership program here by January 31, 2020 to be considered for the 2020-2021 school year. Students will receive an email regarding interviews to be held in early spring. 11th and 12th-grade students selected for the Ambassadors' leadership committee will be offered the opportunity to enroll in the leadership course, which will be held at the STEAM Center. Student Leaders are selected based on demonstrated interest in science, technology, engineering, art, and math, as well as their attitude and willingness to collaborate and challenge themselves as they explore various aspects of STEAM.
Please contact Mrs. Hollis by email if you have any questions! Savannah.Hollis@AllenISD.org