State of Texas Assessment of Academic Readiness (STAAR)
The State of Texas Assessments of Academic Readiness (STAAR) is the state assessment program that began in spring 2012. Students participate in STAAR assessments as shown below.
- Grade 3 - Math and Reading Language Arts
- Grade 4 - Math and Reading Language Arts
- Grade 5 - Math, Reading Language Arts, and Science
- Grade 6 - Math and Reading Language Arts
- Grade 7 - Math and Reading Language Arts
- Grade 8 - Math*, Reading Language Arts, Science, and Social Studies
- High School** - English I, Algebra I, Biology, English II, U.S. History
*Students enrolled in Algebra I will participate in the Algebra I STAAR EOC instead of the Grade 8 STAAR Math assessment.
**Students will participate in the EOC in alignment with their participation in the related EOC course.STAAR Performance Levels
Impact on GraduationBeginning with the 9th grade class of 2011-2012, students take up to 5 STAAR EOC assessments based on their participation in courses.Each student must meet the passing score requirement for each STAAR EOC assessment they take in order to graduate.High school students continue to take the STAAR EOC until they meet the passing standards.Middle school students enrolled in a course with an associated STAAR EOC assessment (e.g., Algebra I) will participate in the STAAR EOC at that time.
- Did Not Meet Grade Level - Unlikely to succeed in the next grade or course without significant, ongoing academic intervention
- Approaches Grade Level (constitutes a passing score) - Likely to succeed in the next grade or course with targeted academic intervention
- Meets Grade Level - High likelihood of success in the next grade or course, but may still need some short-term, targeted academic intervention
- Masters Grade Level - Expected to succeed in the next grade or course with little or no academic intervention
The Texas Education Agency (TEA) has created a video presentation to explain the STAAR student report cards.Additionally, sample STAAR Student Report Cards are available in multiple languages.