Welcome to Candice Frazier's
Name: Candice Frazier
Grade/Subject: Dyslexia Therapy
My name is Ms. Frazier, and I am the Dyslexia Specialist at Boyd Elementary. I am very excited to get to know all of you, I know we will learn so much together this school year 😊
A little bit about me:
I graduated from the University of North Texas with a Bachelor’s degree in Interdisciplinary Studies EC-6 in Generalist and ESL. This will be my 7th year in the classroom.
In my spare time, I enjoy learning about new places and cultures by traveling all over the world. I love picking up a book and getting lost in the mystery of the story and relating to the characters.You will find me most of the time making memories with my family and friends and my two puppies. 😊
I can't wait to see the growth you will make this school year at becoming independent with your learning and setting your own goals. You will be given the tools to really build your confidence and future. I am so happy to be a part of that journey. We are going to work very hard this year, but with the right attitude and heart, I just know you will go far!
Dyslexia Information:What is dyslexia?
- Difficulty reading single words in isolation
- Difficuty accurately decoding nonsense or unfamiliar words
- Slow, inaccurate, or labored oral reading (lack of reading fluency)
- Difficulty with learning to spell
- The reading/writing/spelling characteristics are the result of difficulties with these skills:
- Development of phonological awareness, including segmenting, blending, and manipulating sounds in words
- Learning the names of letters and their associated sounds
- Phonological memory
What is Dyslexia Therapy?Dyslexia Therapy is a program for students who have an educational identification of dyslexia. These students have average to above average ability and struggle with reading, written expression, spelling or a combination of these.Students who are assessed for Dyslexia are evaluated under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. If the student is found to have an educational need in addition to the disability of dyslexia, the 504 committee develops a plan which the teacher implements to provide accommodations. Teachers receive copies at the beginning of each year.Dyslexia Therapy is a multi-sensory phonics-based program beginning with the very simple and moving to the very complex of the English language. Dyslexia Therapists receive specialized training in Academic Language Therapy.
- Rapid naming of familiar objects, colors or letters of the alphabet