Board of Trustees
- Allen ISD Team of 8
- Board Meetings and Agendas
- Board Meeting Summaries
- Board Meetings On Video
- Board COVID-19 Resolutions
- Board Operating Procedures
- Project Kids Committee
- Project Updates - 2015 Bonds
- Board Policy Manual
- Disclosure Requirements
- SOAR 2030
- Strategic Planning 2017-2020
- Leadership Academy
- Trustee General Information (Duties, Terms, etc)
- Candidates: Forms, Instructions & Publications
- Candidates: Applications Process
- Allen Independent School District
- Board Meeting Summaries
January 23, 2019 Board Meeting Summary
Board honors outstanding educators
Employees of the Month
Each month, the Allen ISD Human Resources Department recognizes one elementary teacher, one secondary teacher, and two district employees (anyone other than a classroom teacher) as the Employees of the Month. The monthly recognitions are sponsored by The Foundation For Allen Schools and Credit Union of Texas.
The Board of Trustees was proud to recognize the following honorees:
- Elementary Teacher of the Month: Jill Roecker, K-6 Teacher at Dillard Special Achievement Center.
- Secondary Teacher of the Month: Michelle Ramirez, World Geography Teacher at Lowery Freshman Center.
- Employee of the Month: Debbie Clark-Lawrence, Security Monitor at Allen High School.
- Employee of the Month: Paula Ramsey, SSI Aide at Kerr Elementary.
Board Receives Recommendation from facilities committee
Project SOAR is a citizen’s advisory committee that was formed to study facility needs and make recommendations on funding district renovations. The committee began its considerations on October 1, 2018. Approximately 24 community members together with 10 Allen ISD staff members met to review administrative recommendations for district renovation and renewal and to complete the final committee report and recommendation to the Board of Trustees.
The Co-Chairmen for Project SOAR, Bill Savage and Rev. Todd Harris, presented the final committee report and recommendations to the Board of Trustees.
The committee’s recommendations included the following:
- Allen High School renovations, including G, H, J & K Hall renovations, Collin College area renovation, specialized learning technologies, and track and turf replacements at athletic facilities.
- Lowery Freshman Center athletic turf replacement and track resurfacing.
- Curtis Middle School renovation over two summers.
- Ereckson Middle School renovation over two summers.
- Renovations to Boon, Chandler, Evans, Olson and Cheatham Elementary schools.
- Build a new Agriculture Science Center (current facility located in Lucas).
- Transportation updates, including the addition of a bus-rider safety system, purchasing new buses, retrofit buses with seat belts, vehicle maintenance equipment, and communications equipment.
- Upgrade safety and security features, including security doors and window frames, security camera upgrades and additions, and access control system upgrades and additions.
- Upgrade technology features districtwide, including WAN expansion, classroom multimedia, and facility technology.
- Renovate Administration Building.
- Install playground turf at every elementary campus.
- Install field turf at Ford Middle School.
- Renovate Lowery Weight Room.
- Install shade structures at AHS tennis courts and baseball/softball fields.
Pricing for these projects is estimated at $422,287,732. If the School Board elects to call for a bond election, it is expected that no tax rate increase would be necessary to fund the projects.
The School Board took no action on the recommendations from Project SOAR, but will continue to evaluate the proposal and consider the calling of a bond election in February.
Board Receives Updates on Texas Legislature
Dr. Maroba Zoeller, Chief Governmental Relations Officer for Allen ISD, provided an update to the Board of Trustees on the 86th Session of the Texas Legislature. Dr. Zoeller’s update centered on the following education-related bills and those related to board priorities:
Election Dates for School Board Election Approved
The Board of Trustees called for a School Trustee General Election to be held on Saturday, May 4, 2019. The board seats up for election in 2019 include Places 4 (Amy Gnadt’s current seat), and 5 (Kelley Rowley’s current seat). Early voting will take place April 22-30.
Board Approves District Calendar
The School Board approved the district calendar for the 2019-2020 school year. Approval of the calendar is contingent upon approval of the 2019-2010 Staff Development Waiver by the TEA, at which time the calendar will be officially adopted.
The first day of school is scheduled for August 14, and the last day of school is May 22. Other highlights include:
- Thanksgiving Break on November 25-29
- Winter Break from Dec. 23-Jan. 3
- Spring Break from March 9-13.
Board Awards Contract to Construction Manager-at-Risk
The Board of Trustees approved a contract for a construction manager-at-risk for the Allen High School Renovation (Phase 4). The contract was awarded to Joeris General Contractors, Ltd. An original contract with Cadence McShane had been terminated, and new bid specifications were developed.
The Evaluation Committee, which consisted of the Assistant Superintendent of Operations, Executive Director of Finance, Executive Director of Facilities, Executive Director of Technology, Director of Facility Services and a representative from VLK Architects, reviewed the responses and recommended Joeris General Contractors.
Board Approves Relocation of AISD Technology Services
The Board of Trustees approved the relocation of technology that is located inside the Dillard Center/Technology Annex. Due to a scheduled renovation of the Dillard Center/Technology Annex, technology equipment must be moved in order to ensure that districtwide technology applications and systems can run properly. The technology will temporarily be moved to the STEAM Center during this renovation project, which will allow for continuous access to many of these critical applications and services. The total probable cost for the project is $299,973.
Next Board Meeting
The next regular meeting of the Allen ISD Board of Trustees is scheduled for Wednesday, February 27, at 7 p.m. at Allen City Hall.